It’s finally that time again. Time for creating my birth plan and making final decisions on what I would like to go down to the best of my ability. The last time I gave birth, I had a very similar birth plan though I was hoping to have a VBACPIN IT!. Sadly that was unsuccessful due to adhesions from a previous surgery that we were unaware of.
This time around, I have a planned c-section scheduled unless, of course, little man has a plan of his own. Due to having polyhydramnios, an earlier labor is possible so I have the option to actual labor if I would like or go straight to an epidural. As much as I would love the idea of a shot at another VBAC, I just don’t think it’s in the cards for me.
- I prefer a private room in the hospital which will happen since I’m having a c-section.
- I only want my partner, doctors, nurses and midwives in the room
- I would like my partner or companion(s) to be with me during labor
- My family and children can visit me in the hospital
Photos & videos
- I would like to have pictures or videos taken during every stage of labor and birth
- If necessary, I am ok with my water being broken to induce labor but I would like to try natural methods first since I have polyhydramnios.
- If possible, I would like to start with just pain meds and if needed move to an epidural/spinal tap.
Tearing & Episiotomy
- I would like to avoid an episiotomy unless it is an emergency and absolutely necessary.
- I would like to be able to move or walk around freely.
- I would like to be free to eat and drink when I want to.
- I would like to try various birthing positions.
- I would like to use spontaneous bearing down and not forced pushing.
- Please remind me to drink regularly and use the bathroom.
- Do not perform a hysterectomy, unless it is the only option to save my life.
- I would like the baby to be given to me immediately after delivery for skin to skin contact. If not possible, then I would like him to be given to my husband.
- If an emergency cesarean is required, I would like to stay awake.
- I would like to push when I feel like doing it rather than being told when to push
- If possible, I do not want to be separated from my baby after delivery.
- My partner will stay with our baby if there is an emergency.
- We would like to have skin-to-skin contact and time to bond with the baby as soon as possible after delivery.
- We would not like any Vitamin K to be given to our baby unless our baby is born by cesarean.
- I want to be able to walk around the unit within 12 hours of delivery.
- I don’t want the umbilical cord to be cut immediately, but want to wait until it stops pulsating, so that the baby gets all the remaining cord blood.
- I would like my partner to cut the umbilical cord.
- I am planning to save my placenta for encapsulation.
- I would like to breastfeed my baby as soon as possible after birth.
- I do not want to be forced to feed my baby.