With indoor house plants making a comeback, many people are reaping the benefits they offer. Although plants are great for people, not all of them are right for our homes. Especially if we have pets. Do I have you wondering which house plants are safe for pets now?
Why Aren’t All Plants Safe?
Well, to put it frankly, certain indoor plants are actually pretty poisonous if ingested by your cat or dog. Not every pet is a naughty nibbler, and if you already have a potentially toxic plant in your home consider moving it safely out of reach from paws and jaws. There’s something very romantic about a leafy plant cascading down the side of a bookshelf; it’s also a great hack to make sure your small dog can’t get to it. Alternatively, you can also spray your indoor and outdoor plants with lemon juice mixed with water to keep curious noses at bay! Cats and dogs hate the smell of lemons, so if you have a pet that likes to chew on everything, consider adding lemon spray to even non-toxic plants to keep them in tip- top shape.
Sadly, some of the prettiest plants on the market are extremely toxic to our furry family members. A few of these plants are aloe vera, birds of paradise, fiddle leaf fig, rubber trees, and lilies. As beautiful as they are, keeping your pet family members safe should be of the highest priority.
Which House Plants Are Safe For Pets
Don’t be discouraged if you had your eye set on one of the toxic plants above, there are still many options out there for you to choose from. Blue Echeveria, Pachira Aquatica, and Peperomia are great pick when it comes to house plants that are safe for pets.
The following infographic is a handy chart that outlines the plants that are poisonous to pets — and the plants that are safe. If you don’t see the plant you are looking for and need a more extensive list, the ASPCA offers a long list of other options.
Although there’s nothing quite like the sight and scent of lilies, it’s best to keep them out of your home if you have pets and young children. Lily-of- the-Valley and Peace Lilies are both highly toxic. They contain calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause the tongue to swell dramatically.
If you suspect that your pet has eaten something toxic, call your vet at once. If you’re dealing with a midnight snack that has gone horribly wrong, you can call the pet poison helpline 24-hours a day, although they charge a $65 consultation fee.