I know what you’re probably thinking, what in the hell is Freekeh? To be honest, that was my first thought too when I first heard about it. So what is it you ask? The legend is that one day a Middle Eastern village’s wheat field was set on fire and while attempting to put out the fire to save their crops, they discovered the kernels inside were deliciously edible. I was also pleasantly surprised to find out that Freekeh has fewer calories and fat than quinoa and still has the same about of protein per serving.
Being so excited to see what Freekeh would taste like in comparison to quinoa, I decided to create a new recipe to try it out. I can’t explain how it tastes exactly but I definitely prefer it to quinoa based on taste alone. The results were so good I had to share it with you all! But where do I find Freekeh to try out this recipe? You should be able to find it at any local health food store but if you still can’t find it you’re in luck! Freekeh Foods and I have teamed up to giveaway a bag for you to try so enter below for your chance to win!
More than likely you have most of these ingredients already if you are a healthy eater so this is a great meal to throw together last minute. The only ingredients missing from the picture is flour and milk so if you have everything else, you’re good to go.
Since my oldest is a picky eater I try to add any veggies he will eat into a meal and then add ones that he doesn’t like that are the same color so he can’t tell the difference. For this dish I added asparagus which he loves and spinach which he hates.
All you have to do is prep your “cream sauce” and then throw it all in a bowl to mix together.
Bake it all up and enjoy the deliciousness! I was so pleasantly surprised at how much I loved this meal!
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 2.5 cup milk
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 chicken bullion cube
- 1lb uncooked chicken breast diced
- 1 cup asparagus chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1.5 cups spinach
- 1 package of Freekeh original or rosemary sage
- 1.5 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- Preheat over to 375 degrees and grease a large baking dish.
- In a saucepan mix the chicken broth and flour together and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Once thickened, add in milk and the bullion cube and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Set burner to low once thickened.
- Add all remaining ingredients and half of the cheese in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Slowly add in the cream sauce until everything is well coated.
- Transfer to baking dish, sprinkle remaining cheese on top, and cook covered for 35 minutes.
- Removed cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Now for the good stuff! Enter below for a chance to win a bag of Freekeh to try out for yourself. You will get to choose between original, rosemary sage, or tamari.
You won’t regret it!
a Rafflecopter giveaway