This post is Sponsored by Mars Veterinary Wisdom Panel 3.0,
With millions of mixed-breed dog owners in the U.S., its a no brainer that most people own a dog with more than one breed in their DNA. Did you know that knowing your dog’s ancestry can be crucial for the nutrition, training, and overall health of your furry family member?
Mars Veterinary, the industry leader in canine genetic testing, is launching their next evolution of the canine DNA test—Wisdom Panel® 3.0— and is not only expanding the breed screening coverage, but the medical applications as well with the new MDR1 Genetic Mutation screening. The MDR1 Genetic Mutation screening can help discover if your dog could have an adverse reaction to common drugs as well as the amount of drug absorption your dog can tolerate. To learn more information on breeds and drugs affected by the MDR1 mutation, visit www.wisdompanel.com/MDR1_Disease_Screening.
The Wisdom Panel® covers 250+ breeds including all those recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC) and can be run for mixed-breed, designer, or purebred dogs. With two swabs between the gum and cheek of your furry friend for 15 seconds you can easily do this at home. The results take approximately 2-3 weeks from the time the test reaches the lab in your prepaid shipping box and can provide ancestry information back to the great-grandparent level, MDR1 Genetic Mutation screening results, and a predicted weight profile.
PIN IT!Though the Wisdom Panel does not offer a guaranteed accuracy level, if a good, clean sample is obtained—dog does not share any food/toys/water with any other dogs prior to testing and doesn’t eat any food/treats—accuracy can be about 90% which is rather impressive.
Think you know your dog’s breed just by looking at him? Think again. Visual identification of a dog’s breed(s) is only accurate about 25% of the time. That leaves a 75% chance for error and mis-identification, 75%. So how does knowing your dog’s breed help them live a healthier life? Well once you’ve completed a DNA test on your dog you will find out if your dog has a MDR1 mutation testing for drug sensitivity, it will give you the ability to develop a training program that works with their natural instincts, develop a breed-specific nutrition plan, assist in determining what the adult size of your dog might be and lastly understanding the breeds within your dog, in order to lookout for any breed-specific health concerns or common issues.
Now that you know what information you could possibly find out about your furry loved one, why not head on over to wisdompanel.com and grab a kit for yourself! Don’t have the extra money for a kit at full price? Well you’re in luck, Wisdom Panel themselves will be here in Scottsdale, AZ at the Amazing Pet Expo Holiday Festival on December 5th and will be offering consumers a swab onsite at event for a discounted price of $39.99 or the option of a take home kit that can be purchased for the discounted price of $49.99.
Want more updates on events and product discounts? Follow Wisdom Panel on any or all of their social media outlets.
Disclaimer: Mars Veterinary as well as myself are not dispensing any advice for you and your pets, ALWAYS speak to your veterinarian for any medical advice or concerns you may have after testing.