Everyone knows this year is running rapid with the flu. Though I believe there are a lot of scare tactics going on out there, I also know that the flu spreads easily and quickly. One of the best ways to protect yourself and your littles is a daily dose of elderberry.
Since convincing kids that a dose of syrup that looks like medicine is good for them, why not put it in a gummy? These homemade elderberry gummies are simple to make and easy to work into your kiddos daily vitamin regime.
First up, you will need to make your elderberry syrup from scratch. Once your syrup is good to go then you can move on to make the elderberry gummies.
INGREDIENTS FOR SYRUP
1 cup dried elderberries
4 cups water
2 Tablespoons fresh ginger-grated
2-3 cinnamon sticks
6-8 whole cloves
1 1/2 cups raw honey
DIRECTIONS FOR SYRUP
1. Place the water, elderberries, ginger, cinnamon sticks and whole cloves into a medium pan.
2. Heat over medium heat until boiling. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, reducing the liquid by half.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes. Pour the warm elderberry liquid into a mesh strainer (over a bowl to catch the liquid). Using the back of a large spoon, mash the elderberries into the bottom of the strainer to squeeze out the juice. Discard the contents left in the strainer.
4. Cool the liquid for an additional 15 minutes at room temperature. Add the honey and stir well. Transfer to a glass container or mason jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Now that your elderberry syrup is good to go, now we can get started on the gummies. You need to purchase a gummy mold if you don’t already have one. You can grab the one used in this recipe on Amazon here.
Yields: 3-4 dozen (depending on the size of mold used)
3/4 cup apple juice (I used unsweetened)
1/4 cup elderberry syrup (recipe below)
3 packets Knox gelatin
1. In a medium saucepan, add the apple juice and elderberry syrup. Sprinkle the gelatin on top and whisk to combine.
2. Place on stovetop under medium/low heat, uncovered. Stir constantly until the gelatin is completely melted (about 2 minutes).
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 2 minutes before transferring to your favorite molds, filling up to the top.
4. Chill for 1 hour and remove from molds. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Take 2-3 per day to help boost your immunity.