Everyone knows this year is running rapid with the flu. Though I believe there are a lot of scare tactics going on out there, I also know that the flu spreads easily and quickly. One of the best ways to protect yourself and your littles is a daily dose of elderberry.
Since convincing kids that a dose of syrup that looks like medicine is good for them, why not put it in a gummy? These homemade elderberry gummies are simple to make and easy to work into your kiddos daily vitamin regime.
Homemade Elderberry Syrup
First up, you will need to make your elderberry syrup from scratch. Once your syrup is good to go then you can move on to make the elderberry gummies.
INGREDIENTS FOR SYRUP
1 cup dried elderberries
4 cups water
2 Tablespoons fresh ginger-grated
2-3 cinnamon sticks
6-8 whole cloves
1 1/2 cups raw honey
DIRECTIONS FOR SYRUP
1. Place the water, elderberries, ginger, cinnamon sticks and whole cloves into a medium pan.
2. Heat over medium heat until boiling. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, reducing the liquid by half.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes. Pour the warm elderberry liquid into a mesh strainer (over a bowl to catch the liquid). Using the back of a large spoon, mash the elderberries into the bottom of the strainer to squeeze out the juice. Discard the contents left in the strainer.
4. Cool the liquid for an additional 15 minutes at room temperature. Add the honey and stir well. Transfer to a glass container or mason jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Homemade Elderberry Gummies
Now that your elderberry syrup is good to go, now we can get started on the gummies. You need to purchase a gummy mold if you don’t already have one. You can grab the one used in this recipe on Amazon here.
Yields: 3-4 dozen (depending on the size of mold used)
3/4 cup apple juice (I used unsweetened)
1/4 cup elderberry syrup (recipe below)
3 packets Knox gelatin
1. In a medium saucepan, add the apple juice and elderberry syrup. Sprinkle the gelatin on top and whisk to combine.
2. Place on stovetop under medium/low heat, uncovered. Stir constantly until the gelatin is completely melted (about 2 minutes).
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 2 minutes before transferring to your favorite molds, filling up to the top.
4. Chill for 1 hour and remove from molds. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Take 2-3 per day to help boost your immunity.
Oh wow! Those sound so amazing! I’ve never tried making my own gummies before, but I think that needs to change! Om nom nom.
Joely Smith says
I absolutely never would have thought to do this! What a genius idea! I do love Elderberry – it is SO good for us! Thank you for the inspiration! I am going to go for it and try making them too!
I saw a recipe for these last year somewhere and love making them. They really do help give us all a boost against winter sickness.
Sarah Bailey says
Oh my goodness how delicious do these gummies sound. I love the idea of making your own as well I definitely need to try making my own just to try them!
Amber Myers says
I need to try these out. I keep hearing how great elderberry is. I am intrigued.
When I was pregnant and got sick, the elderberry drops saved my butt. These look so good, and so helpful.
Jenn @ EngineerMommy says
I have been making my own gummies recently and it’s so much fun. You can customize the flavor, the size and the ingredients. I love this recipe – gotta try it!
I have made elderberry syrup a bunch of times, it would be so easy to make these gummies. I actually buy elderberry gummies, but apparently I should be making my own!
Becky Willis says
I have never thought of making elderberry syrup or gummies for that matter. Both are such neat ideas. This is a recipe I would love to try. Now to just find the elderberries. Thank you for such an interesting read. I really enjoyed it.
Aduke Schulist says
I was just commenting on something else about store bought elderberry gummies. Making my own would be fun.
I have heard really good things about Elderberry Syrup! I have never taken it myself but I think these gummies sound like a great way to take it!
Victoria Heckstall says
This looks so delightful and tasty. I would love to try making this recipe. My boys would both probably DIG this!
Melissa Dixon says
I love making my own gummies but I never thought to make elderberry before, that sounds good. I am not sure that I have tried that berry but now I must.
These gummies look so cute! I could really use some right now. I’m currently sick with a stomach bug and it hasn’t been fun at all.
Lisa Bristol says
These look so delicious and easy to make They will be a great treat. I will have to get the ingredients I need to make some on the weekend.
Sheena Tatum says
I absolutely love the elderberry flavor. I’ve never thought of making gummies in this flavor before! Delish!
Marissa Zurfluh says
The kids love when I make homemade things like this. I will have to give them a shot and see if they turn out as good as yours!
Oh this sounds so interesting. I have never heard of Elderberry before.
I’ve heard of elderberry juice, but this is the first time I’ve seen elderberry gummies. I would love to make some one of these days.